Discover The Top 10 Universities In India: Rankings, Courses, And Campus Insight
Are you in your final years of schooling but can’t decide on your next step? Or maybe you are almost done with your bachelor’s and have again reached a T-point in life? Choosing a university is one of the most significant decisions a student makes in their life. It bridges their school life to their […] The post Discover The Top 10 Universities In India: Rankings, Courses, And Campus Insight appeared first on Chegg India.
Are you in your final years of schooling but can’t decide on your next step? Or maybe you are almost done with your bachelor’s and have again reached a T-point in life? Choosing a university is one of the most significant decisions a student makes in their life. It bridges their school life to their adult life. You must make the decision after taking into account what you want to do afterwards and what your interests are.
Choosing the right university can lead to better career opportunities and shape a bright future. Professors and classmates that you meet in college will also change the way you look at life and form your personality. The right college can make your future path more clear while a wrong decision can make you more confused.
But don’t worry, this article will give you the perfect place to start from! This article here can help you take your first steps to identify your college and start on your future path!
The top 10 universities in India have been listed here with all their required information from courses to campus life. You will also find details related to the entrance exams that you’ll have to give to apply for the courses. NIRF rankings have been used to find the best universities for you in India. NIRF is a methodology adopted by the Government of India, Ministry of Education. It ranks universities based on their overall performance. All the university placements, research facilities, intake, projects, financial resources, etc are taken into consideration. A cumulative score is then given to the universities on which they are ranked.
In 2022, NIRF ranked the Indian Institute of Science at No.1 for the third time in a row. It was followed by the Jawaharlal Nehru University and Jamia Millia Islamia. Choosing the right college for yourself can be difficult, but if you have the right resources, you can go about it much faster. Based on your interests go ahead and look for your best fit out of all the leading universities!
Top 10 Universities in India 2023
The top 10 universities of India based on the NIRF 2022 ranking are given below along with their states and position.
|Name of University||State||NIRF Rank 2022|
|Indian Institute of Science||Karnataka||1|
|Jawaharlal Nehru University||Delhi||2|
|Jamia Millia Islamia||Delhi||3|
|Jadavpur University||West Bengal||4|
|Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham||Tamil Nadu||5|
|Banaras Hindu University||Uttar Pradesh||6|
|Manipal Academy of Higher Education||Karnataka||7|
|Calcutta University||West Bengal||8|
|Vellore Institute of Technology||Tamil Nadu||9|
|University of Hyderabad||Telangana||10|
Top 10 Universities in India: Courses and Campus Insight
Let’s look into the best universities in India in a little more detail. Below there is a compiled list of the universities with their courses, fees, entrance exams and campus life details.
1. Indian Institute of Science
The number 1 university in India is the Indian Institute of Science, based in Karnataka. IIS is a public college that holds the first rank in NIRF 2022 for the third time in a row.
- Courses Offered: It has numerous courses such as general management, astronomy, aerospace engineering, chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer science engineering, electrical engineering and more. They offer programmes at all levels – PhD, Integrated PhD, M. Tech./M. Des., M. Tech (research) and B.SC. (research). The PG courses can be applied for through GATE scores while B.SC. (research) is offered through KVPY, JEE or NEET-UG.
- Campus Life and Facility Details: The Indian Institute of Sciences has a great campus that offers the facilities of eateries, airport taxi services, banks, baby care centres, bookshops, amenities hall etc.
- Average Fees: The annual fees range from Rs 29,000 to Rs 35,000 depending on the programme and course. The college does provide scholarships and fellowships to those who need them.
- Entrance Exam: It depends upon the chosen field. One can obtain admission through JEE Main, JEE Advanced, GMAT, GATE etc
2. Jawaharlal Nehru University
Jawaharlal Nehru University or JNU is spread across an area of 1020 acres in New Delhi. It is systematically distributed into 12 Schools, 55 Centres, 6 Special Centres, Language and Science labs, an art library, seminar rooms and advanced auditoriums.
- Courses Offered: JNU is well known for its humanities courses. It has programmes for both undergraduate, postgraduate and postgraduate diplomas. The university has multiple schools which offer their respective courses in science, humanities and languages. School of Arts & Aesthetics, School of Biotechnology, School of Computational and Integrative Sciences, School of Computer and Systems Sciences, School of Engineering, etc are some of the schools. Undergraduate programmes can be applied through CUET-UG scores, while postgraduate programmes require CUET-PG scores.
- Campus Life and Facility Details: Jawaharlal Nehru University’s campus comes with various facilities like a hostel, wi-fi, laboratories, libraries, canteen, swimming pool etc.
- Average Fees: The average annual fee is Rs2 lakh – it varies according to courses and programmes.
- Entrance Exam: The entrance exam for admission here is the All India Level Entrance Exam.
3. Jamia Millia Islamia
Jamia Millia Islamia comes in the top 3 universities in India. It was established in 1920. It is a central university located in Delhi. JMI was accredited with an A grade by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
- Courses Offered: JMI has a wide range of courses like BA(Hons) Arabic, BA(Hons) Mass Media, B.F.A., BCom (Hons) and more. It offers undergraduate, postgraduate, diploma and doctoral programmes. In total, there are 256 courses and 41 degrees offered.
- Campus Life and Facility Details: The university campus is well equipped with a gymnasium, computer centre, library, hospital, reading room, auditorium, wi-fi etc.
- Average Fees: Based on the choice of programme and course, the annual fee ranges from Rs 5000 to Rs 1 lakh.
- Entrance Exam: To apply for the courses students have to give CUET, JMI entrance test or JEE Mains depending on the course requirement.
4. Jadavpur University
Jadavpur University is located in West Bengal. It has two campuses, 58 acres in Jadavpur and 26 acres near Salt Lake. It was accredited an A grade by NAAC with a CGPA of 3.68. In the top 10 universities in India, Jadavpur is ranked 4th.
- Courses Offered: Like other universities, it offers undergrad, postgrad, diploma and doctoral programmes. It is well known for B Tech., B. Pharma., B. Arch., etc. In total, there are around 126 different courses and 24 degrees at Jadavpur University.
- Campus Life and Facility Details: The campus facilities at Jadavpur University include a hostel, sports, IT infrastructure, library etc.
- Average Fees: The annual fee for all undergraduate courses is Rs 2400 annually while the Information Technology course is Rs 30,000 annually.
- Entrance Exam: Most courses require WBJEE scores for admission. Some courses also take JEE mains and GATE scores.
5. Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
One of the best universities in India is Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, located in Tamil Nadu. It is ranked in the top 5 universities by NIRF. It has been accredited A grade by NAAC. The university is spread over 7 campuses – Amritapuri, Amaravati, Bengaluru, Chennai, Coimbatore, Kochi, and Mysore.
- Courses Offered: It offers undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral courses. Students can go for studies in the field of management, sciences, social sciences, mass communication, medicine, etc. Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham is famous for being the best research institution in India.
- Campus Life and Facility Details: The campus facilities include indoor game rooms, a modern equipped gymnasium, a guest house, a hostel, a central library etc.
- Average Fees: The annual fee for undergraduate courses is on average Rs 2 lakhs.
- Entrance Exam: The entrance exam for admission to Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham is Amrita Entrance Examination.
6. Banaras Hindu University
BHU is an internationally recognised university based in Uttar Pradesh. It is one of the leading universities in India, well-known for its research-related courses. It has 6 centres of advanced studies, 10 departments under the Special Assistance Programme and a large number of specialised research centres. The main campus is spread over 1300 acres and thus achieves the position of being the largest residential university in India.
- Courses Offered: BHU provides both bachelor’s and master’s programmes. These applications require CUET UG and CUET PG scores respectively. Some of their courses include B. Ed., B.SC. Industrial Microbiology, M.C.A and M. Com.
- Campus Life and Facility Details: Campus facilities include a common room with TV, computer room, library, mini common kitchen, sports facilities, wi-fi etc.
- Average Fees: The annual fee for masters courses is on average Rs 60,000. The bachelor courses are a little lower, around Rs 25,000.
- Entrance Exam: The entrance exam for admission to BHU is BHU UET, BHU CUET.
7. Manipal Academy of Higher Education
The next university in our list of the top 10 Universities in India is Manipal Academy of Higher Education. It is more commonly known as Manipal University and is located in Karnataka. It has campuses in Mangalore and Bangalore, with off-campus in Dubai and Malaysia. The main campus size is 844 acres.
- Courses Offered: These campuses offer medical, architecture, nursing, dentistry, management, etc. They provide undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. In total, there are 525 courses and 25 degrees offered.
- Campus Life and Facility Details: Manipal’s state-of-the-art campus facility includes wi-fi, night cafeterias, solar panels, caretakers and housekeeping, gyms, libraries etc.
- Average Fees: The annual fee for B. Tech. courses range from Rs 2 lakhs to Rs 4 lakhs, while other master courses are from Rs 3 lakhs to Rs 17 lakhs.
- Entrance Exam: To apply for these courses you will have to sit for the MET, Manipal Entrance
8. Calcutta University
Calcutta University was established in 1857 making it one of the oldest universities in this list of the top 10 universities in India. It is based in West Bengal. Holding the 8th position it is among the top famous universities in India. It has jumped up by 3 places in the 2022 ranking by NIRF.
- Courses Offered: It provides undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral courses. It offers a large range of 2000+ courses and a total of 38 different degrees. Some courses offered by the university are in the field of agriculture, architecture, humanities, sciences and more.
- Campus Life and Facility Details: Campus facilities at Calcutta University includes hostels, library, health centres, auditorium, playground, hostels etc.
- Average Fees: The annual fee ranges from Rs 1,000 to Rs 10,000 for different programmes.
- Entrance Exam: The admission is based on either merit or an entrance exam depending on the course.
9. Vellore Institute of Technology
Vellore Institute of Technology or VIT was founded under the University Grants Commission Act (UGC) in 1984. VIT is located in Tamil Nadu. It currently stands in 9th place; in the top 10 universities in India. High placements and packages put it in front of other universities.
- Courses Offered: VIT is an engineering college which provides undergraduate, postgraduate, integrated and research courses. In total, it has 120 courses and 20 degrees.
- Campus Life and Facility Details: The campus facilities include a gymnasium, libraries, playground, auditorium etc.
- Average Fees: The annual fee ranges from Rs 1 lakh to Rs 2 lakh for different management and engineering courses.
- Entrance Exam: Admission to these courses can be made through JEE mains score or VITMEE. VITMEE is an entrance specifically for VIT admissions in engineering degrees.
10. University of Hyderabad
The last and one of the most prominent universities on our list of the top 10 Universities in India is The University of Hyderabad. It is based in Telangana. The University is known for its postgraduate and research courses.
- Courses Offered: It offers numerous undergraduate and postgraduate courses. Students can apply to any one of these under the College of Integrated Studies, School of Computer and Information Sciences, SN School of Arts & Communication, School of Humanities, School of Social Sciences, School of Economics, School of Life Sciences, etc. In total, there are 126 courses and 13 degrees offered.
- Campus Life and Facility Details: The campus facilities include a central library, seminar halls, auditorium, library, wi-fi etc.
- Average Fees: According to the course chosen, the annual fee ranges from Rs 4000 to Rs 60,000.
- Entrance Exam: To apply for the same, CUET UG or CUET PG has to be given depending on the programme choice.
Choosing your college is a crucial step in your life. It not only paves the way for your future job but also provides you with multiple opportunities to grow. It enhances your personality and thinking. Now that you know about the top 10 universities, you have a place to start thinking about which path you want to take. Base it on your likes and dislikes, your preferences and your dream job.
The top 10 universities of India set the bar for excellence in teaching, exposure, placements, and more. They are the best and leading universities in their respective courses. You can even take their example and compare the college you are applying to with the help of the bar they have set. Remember that college is only what you make of it, so be sure to take up as many chances as possible for higher learning and in-depth knowledge.
Evaluate numerous career choices to choose the right career path for yourself. Dive in to our guide on Career Advice.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
We can rely on NIRF rankings to determine the best university. All the universities we have mentioned in our list are undoubtedly the best but as per the ranking, the Indian Institute of Science (IIS) is the best one in India.
The top 3 universities are the Indian Institute of Science, Jawaharlal Nehru University and Jamia Millia Islamia. They offer a variety of courses in different streams. We can say that they have a course for every interest you have!
Recent trends show computer science as a popular course in B. Tech. While economics and psychology are popular in the arts and humanities field. But, you can find the course of your interest by looking into the syllabus and future professions in their respective fields!
You can apply to these universities by going to their official website and filling out the application form for the preferred courses. Most of the courses and colleges require you to give an entrance exam along with the application form.
The top university in India, the Indian Institute of Science (IIS), is based in Karnataka. Out of the top 10 universities in India, two are based in Delhi, two in Karnataka and two in West Bengal.
The top 10 private universities in India according to NIRF rankings are as follows:
1 Manipal Academy of Higher Education
2 Vellore Institute of Technology
3 International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad
4 Lovely Professional University
5 Narsee Monjee Institute of Management and Higher Studies
6 Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
7 Birla Institute of Technology and Science
8 SRM Institute of Science and Technology
9 Amity University
10 Chandigarh University
Other Related Reads
The post Discover The Top 10 Universities In India: Rankings, Courses, And Campus Insight appeared first on Chegg India.