Last-Minute GATE Preparation Tips and Tricks
Know About GATE Exam 2023 Students aiming to pursue a master’s degree in engineering and technology must write the GATE. Clearing this exam is a must to join the top engineering institutes in India. IIT Kanpur is expected to conduct GATE 2023 in the first and second week of February. GATE scores help admission into […] The post Last-Minute GATE Preparation Tips and Tricks appeared first on Chegg India.
Know About GATE Exam 2023
Students aiming to pursue a master’s degree in engineering and technology must write the GATE. Clearing this exam is a must to join the top engineering institutes in India. IIT Kanpur is expected to conduct GATE 2023 in the first and second week of February.
GATE scores help admission into NITs, IITs, IISC, IIITs, and other renowned engineering institutions. This should provide an idea about how crucial is exam is. A robust preparation strategy is required to crack this national-level examination. These last-minute GATE preparation tips can help students get excellent scores on the first go.
To crack this highly-competitive examination, candidates must ensure they are going in the right direction. Following these GATE preparation tips and tricks can increase their chances of getting a good score in GATE 2023.
Here are the most effective last-minute GATE preparation tips to help pass with flying colors.
GATE Exam Details
One can choose the self-study technique or join a coaching institute for GATE preparation. Regardless, they will require an effective studying strategy to crack the GATE exam. Having all the relevant information at one’s fingertips can help prepare an effective study plan.
Here is the most relevant information needed to devise a GATE 2023 preparation plan:
|Mode of Examination||Online|
|Duration||3 hours (180 minutes)|
|Number of Papers||29 papers|
Subjects selected by the student
|Type of Questions||Multiple Select Questions (MSQ)|
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)
Numerical Answer Type Questions (NAT)
|Purpose of Questions||The exam aims to assess the following abilities:|
|Total Number of Questions||65 questions|
|Total Marks||100 marks|
|Distribution of Questions (Excluding CY, EY, AR, PH, MA, XL, and GG)||Subject questions – 72 marks|
Engineering Mathematics – 13 marks
General Aptitude – 15 marks
|Distribution of Questions in CY, EY, AR, PH, MA, XL, and GG||Subject questions – 85 marks|
General aptitude – 15 marks
|Marking Scheme||Each question will be worth 1 or 2 marks|
|Negative Marking System||MCQs|
1 mark questions – 1 mark will be given for every correct answer
1/3rd mark will be subtracted for every wrong answer.
2 mark questions – 2 marks will be given for each correct answer.
2/3rd marks will be subtracted for every wrong answer.
NAT and MSQ – There will be no negative markings for these questions.
|Shortlisting Procedure||In the interview or test-based selection process, a minimum of 70% weightage will be on GATE performance. 30% weightage will be on the candidate’s performance in the test, interview, or academic record.|
GATE Preparation Tips
Understanding the Topics
Candidates should know the GATE syllabus. Experts recommend making short notes for concepts and formulas for maximum mental retention. Notes should be crisp and well-organized. It will strengthen one’s knowledge core and make revision easy at the eleventh hour.
GATE aspirants should start their preparation early if they wish to ace the exam and get into a good college. This is because many candidates appear for this exam every year while competing for very few seats.
Candidates must analyze their routine, time, and days needed to complete the syllabus. Listing topics in order of difficulty will tremendously help in preparation for GATE. Moreover, one should list all the books required to prepare for the exam. Expert guidance will help identify the best books in the market.
Follow the Best Study Resources
Finding the right study resources is crucial when preparing for GATE. Candidates should focus on identifying reliable online and offline resources. There are numerous GATE preparation lectures and videos on free platforms like YouTube and Instagram.
The internet hosts thousands of written notes, ebooks, articles, and other GATE materials. One can also refer to resources recommended by IIT professors and other teachers. Candidates must make the most of these resources while preparing for the exam.
Use of Flashcards
Flashcards are great when it comes to last-minute GATE preparation. They can be used to write important points and formulas and revise them daily. Students can also use sticky notes for this purpose. They only need to note the crucial matter and stick it on their study tables. Seeing and revising these daily will help solve questions faster during the GATE exam.
Revision is Key
Revision is crucial for a good score in GATE. Ideally, students should have two hours to revise their concepts every day. Moreover, during the eleventh hour, students should only rely on their notes for revision.
This process will keep the concepts fresh in their minds. Thoroughly knowing the concepts will help answer the most questions in the least time.
Solve Mock Tests and Sample Papers
One cannot underestimate the relevance of mock tests in last-minute GATE preparation.GATE authorities annually release mock test series to boost confidence and answering speeds. Solving these tests will highlight one’s strengths and areas of concern.
This process will also help one ponder their mistakes and consider how to improve them.
However, one should select the test series curated and recommended by toppers and experts.
Distribute Study hours between each Subject or Topic
|Day||Minimum 2 Hours||More than 2 Hours||From 2 to 3 Hours|
|Monday||Engineering Mathematics||Subject-specific topics||Numerical Ability|
|Tuesday||Subject-specific topics||Subject-specific topics||Verbal Ability|
|Wednesday||Engineering Mathematics||Subject-specific topics||Pick subjects that demand more time|
|Thursday||Subject-specific topics||Pick Engineering Mathematics topics that demand more time investment||Numerical Ability|
|Friday||Subject-specific topics||Verbal Ability||Numerical Ability|
|Saturday||Subject-specific tests||One mock test series||Analyse the results|
|Sunday||Subject-specific tests||One mock test series||Analyse the results|
GATE Preparation Tips for General Aptitude
GATE preparation demands a perfect strategic plan. The General Aptitude section is common to all the subjects in GATE. Students must thoroughly prepare for this part of the syllabus. The GATE general aptitude section is divided into two sections:
- Numerical Ability
- Verbal Ability
Let us examine the preparation strategy for both categories.
- It is a high-scoring section in the GATE examination. Therefore, students should cover all the fundamental topics in it.
- Make a formula sheet and revise it daily. Important topics for this section include Area, Set Theory, Number Series, and Numerical Estimation.
- Students should learn time management techniques to solve most problems in the least time.
- Students should be consistent and utilize all the preparation resources optimally.
- Students should learn shortcuts and use them effectively in mock test series to boost performance.
- Students must focus on improving their vocabulary.
- They should make it a habit to speak English and use richer words in conversation.
- Students can use online resources and read newspapers to enhance their verbal skills.
- Students should listen to the latest English podcasts. Making a note of unique words will help their verbal aptitude.
- A grasp of tenses, adjectives, and active/passive voice will help solve the grammar section effectively.
GATE Preparation Tips for Engineering Mathematics
- Matric Algebra and Eigenvalue are two of the most crucial topics of Engineering Mathematics. Linear algebra topics are also important.
- Euler Differential Equations and Bernoulli’s Equation topics should not be skipped while studying Differential Equations.
- Probability and Statistics are critical and high-scoring topics. In particular, Baye’s Theorem and Poisson Law should be carefully studied.
- Trapezoidal Rules and Simpson’s Rules are crucial for numerical problems. These formulae should be thoroughly memorized.
GATE Preparation Tips for Subject-Specific Topics
- Engineering Material
- Casting, Forming, and Joining Process
- Inventory Control
- Metrology and Inspection
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- Operation Research
- Production Planning and Control
- Machine and Machine Tool Operations
- Differential Equation
- Concrete Structures
- Foundation Engineering
- Municipal Solid Waste
- Horizontal and Vertical Curves
- Transversing and Triangulation Survey
Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Complex Analysis
- Discrete-Time Signals
- Op-Amp Circuits
- Semiconductor Memories
- Bote and Root Locus Plots
- Plane Waves and Properties
- Information Theory
- Norton’s Theorem
- Faraday’s Law
- Magnetic Circuits
- Three-phase Induction Motors
- Voltage and Frequency Control
Last-Minute GATE Preparation Tips To Be Kept in Mind
Here are some useful last-minute revision tricks for a good score in GATE 2023.
- Stick to the basics – Experts recommend sticking to what has been read and learned so far. Knowing the latest syllabus, question paper pattern, and marking scheme is essential. There is no need to get baffled about new notes or structures online. Try to memorise old notes and focus on retaining as much information as possible.
- Prepare exam day strategies – Candidates should start solving the paper immediately. They must also think about which section they will attempt first. Will they opt for difficult sections first or keep them for the end of the exam? These are some questions to know the answers to. It is helpful to have a clear strategyfor attempting the GATE exam. It is best not to be too rigid with these strategies. Being flexible with one’s approach and having a plan B is also recommended.
- Go for numerical-based questions – Numerical-based questions do not have a negative marking system. Therefore, one should start attempting this section first to boost their confidence. GATE aspirants should keep referring to their notes to avoid last-minute confusion and forgetfulness.
- Mock tests are a must – Candidates should regularly attempt a mock test to assess their abilities on a larger scale. GATE is a crucial national-level competitive exam that can open doors to India’s best engineering institutes. Hence, GATE aspirants should make the most of this opportunity and prepare well by solving mock and sample papers.
- Healthy Lifestyle – Last but most important, candidates must get ample sleep and consume a healthy diet. This will keep their minds fresh and function at full capacity during the exam. Light exercises and early morning walks can significantly impact one’s mental well-being. The crux is maintaining a healthy lifestyle to keep anxiety, fearfulness, and nervousness at bay.
GATE Preparation Resources
Many students require some direction and guidance to prepare for exams. This is where GATE coaching institutions come into the picture. Instead of trying their luck alone, such students should consider enrolling in reputed GATE coaching classes. This will help refine their preparation strategies.
Here are a few benefits GATE aspirants can avail of when they join coaching institutes:
- Boost self-confidence
- Helps in maintaining consistency
- Access to the latest study resources
- Ensures 100% syllabus coverage
- Offers a systematic approach to cracking GATE
- Gain accuracy in calculations
- Learn essential tips and tricks
- Regular mock tests
GATE Preparation Online Apps
Here are the top 3 GATE preparation apps to look for in 2023.
- GATE/ESE – It is a test series app that will help students polish their answering skills. They can also find previous years’ question papers on this platform.
- DIG (Deewane – IES and GATE) – This app allows students to access video lectures, test series, question discussion sessions, etc. Apart from this, they can also participate in doubt-clearing sessions with GATE toppers.
- TIME4GATE – This app offers free mock test series, study content, and previous years’ question papers. It also has practice tests for GATE aspirants.
GATE Preparation Books
|Subject||Name of the Books|
|Mechanical Engineering||1. Machine Design – V B Bhandari|
2. Engineering Thermodynamics – P K Nag
|Electrical Engineering||1. Fundamentals of Electric Circuits – Matthew N O Sadiku|
2. Digital Design – M. Morris Mano
|Civil Engineering||1. SEA Advanced Engineering Mathematics – Erwin Kreyszig|
2. Highway Engineering – S K Khanna
3. R C C Designs – B C Punmia
4. Basic Structural Analysis – C S Reddy
5. Higher Engineering Mathematics – B S Grewal
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||1. Electronic Devices and Circuits – Jacob Millman|
2. Signals and Systems – Alan V Oppenheim
3. Principles of Electromagnetics (4thEdition) – Matthew N O Sadiku
4. Network Analysis – Man Van Valkenburg
5. Modern Digital and Analog Communication – B P Lathi
|Manufacturing Engineering||1. Engineering Thermodynamics – P K Nag|
2. Fundamentals of Engineering Heat and Mass Transfer – R C Sachdeva
3. Manufacturing Engineering and Technology – Serope Kalpakjian
4. Theory of Machines – S S Rattan
|General Aptitude||1. How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude – Arun Sharma|
2. Succeed at IQ Tests – Philip Carter and Ken Russell
3. High School English Grammar – Wren and Martin
|Mathematics||1. Projective Geometry – Harold Scott MacDonald Coxeter|
2. Sequence, Combinations, Limits – Sergei L Gelfand
3. A Mathematical Mosiac – Ravi Vakil
4. Algebra – Isreal Gelfand
|Statistics||1. Probability, Random, Variables, and Stochastic Processes – Athanasios Papoulis|
2. Introduction to Algorithms – Ronald Rivest
3. The Elements of Statistical Learning – Trevor Hastie
4. Practical Statistics for Data Scientists – Andrew Bruce
Chegg Exam Prep
The life of an engineering aspirant is never easy. Juggling endless assignments and preparing for GATE simultaneously can be challenging for students. Relying on Google for all queries may not solve the purpose.
This is where Chegg comes into the picture. It is an innovative platform for all GATE aspirants. It provides a comprehensive database of notes, videos, and audio. Features like Ask an Expert, Math Solver, and Writing Support ensure 360° exposure and student support.
One can rely on the platform for practical career guidance and government exam preparations. The platform is a one-stop destination to help candidates crack GATE 2023 with good scores.
Visit Chegg today to ace the GATE preparation!
From BCom to Engineering, we have covered all. Dive in to our guide of Career Options.
Frequently Asked Questions
GATE Aspirants should start by covering the basics and easier topics first. They should then gradually move on to complex subjects. GATE preparation needs a strategic plan. The General Aptitude section, common to all the subjects in GATE, is a good place to begin.
GATE aspirants should start preparing early. If planned properly, one can prepare for GATE in 7 months. However, one must pack this time with regular and planned studies. A couple of months are insufficient as there are over ten subjects.
Ideally, a student with a good understanding can prepare for GATE in 5 to 6 months. This competitive exam has an extensive syllabus, so it is best to start early. Candidates should keep plenty of time to revise the syllabus and solve mock tests.
Yes. With expert guidance, robust preparation strategies, and the latest resources, one can prepare for GATE in 6 months. One should make a daily preparation timetable and plan precisely how they spend each hour. Regular studies and revision are critical to good preparation.